Have you ever experienced a tingling feeling throughout your body when someone softly whispers in your ear, when fingers gently run over fabric or crinkled pages of paper are slowly turned? This odd chill and sense of satisfaction are sensations that over 5 million ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) videos trigger every day in their users.
ASMR videos may be one of the oddest recent developments on the web, but they are also among the most extraordinary. With auditory, olfactory or visual forms of stimulation, the videos create a peaceful and calming atmosphere that helps with feelings of anxiety, overextension and insomnia.
In celebration of ASMR’s continued popularity, Philadelphia Contemporary invites young filmmakers from the Philadelphia area between the ages of 13 to 18 years old to submit their own inspiring and innovative ASMR videos (up to one minute long) to the Oddly Satisfying Film Festival. All video submissions will be presented on October 27 & 28, 2018 at the Oddly Satisfying Film Festival in Philadelphia’s new Cherry Street Pier on the Delaware River Waterfront.
A jury of three ASMR stars, Bread Face, Glitter Slimes and Lily Whispers ASMR, will select the best three videos, whose creators will be honored with prizes in an award ceremony on Saturday, October 27th, 2018 at 5pm. This contest is only for teenagers in Philadelphia and adjacent counties and celebrates the innovation and diversity of our region’s youth.
Be creative and give us goosebumps!
How to Enter
Make an engaging video, no longer than one minute long, using whatever type of camera you have available. You can apply on your own or as a duo.
Submit your video online to Philadelphia Contemporary between Monday, August 27th and Friday, October 12th, 2018 by creating a Submittable account below.
Eligibility and Rules
- The competition is open to amateur filmmakers who are residents of Philadelphia and adjacent counties, including Bucks County, Burlington County (NJ), Camden County (NJ), Gloucester County (NJ), Delaware County, Montgomery County.
- The contest is designed for aspiring individuals and interested teams of no more than 2 members.
- Candidates must be between 13 and 18 years old at the time of submission.
- Deadline: Friday, October 12th, 2018 at noon.
Entry and Selection Rules:
- Each short video entry must clearly and creatively address the theme of Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR). The video should be in English, or if created in a foreign language should include English subtitles.
- Entries depicting violence, sexism, racism, or other inappropriate content such as smoking, drinking, or other unhealthy or illegal behavior, including messaging deemed to advocate curtailment of the rights of others, will be disqualified.
- Entries are limited to one video per individual or team.
The competition is organized by Philadelphia Contemporary with kind support of the William Penn Foundation and the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation.